I think books are the loveliest present for children. I love reading Honor stories and hope the twins will enjoy my voice too, without sounding modest I know they will! Here are some of my favourite books to read (and buy and collect) to children.
1. Any Beatrix Potter books. I went through I serious Beatrix Potter stage when I was little and love the stories of Peter Rabbit, Jemima Puddleduck and Mrs Tiggy-Wiggle.
2. Beware of the Bull by Dick King Smith. Unfortunately this book is out of print now but I did manage to find a second hand version on eBay a couple years ago. This is the first book I learnt to 'read' but I actually just knew it by heart. I think I still know most of it.
3. Usborne's Illustrated Shakespeare. Because you are never too young for Shakepeare! I have alreayd bought a copy of this for the twins.
4. Roald Dahl's Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, because how can one not love a story about a chocolate factory.
5. And while we are on Roald Dahl - I think it is compulsory for one's aunt to read your Revolting Rhymes.
6. The Magic Far Away Tree by Enid Blyton. Come on, is this not one of the best children's books ever? Moon Face and the endless tree? The washing lady and the different land, the saucepan man and the fairy? I almost don't want to wait until my pieces are old enough I want to read it again now, for myself.
7. Are you My mother by P.D. Eastman. This is such a blast from the past for me, and when I look at it now the feeling of anxiety that the bird will not find his mother comes flooding back. Anxiety aside, I love this book.
8. We're Going on a Bear Hunt by Michael Rosen and Helen Oxenbury. The sounds illustrated in this book are so lovely to read like slooshing through mud and crunching through leaves.
9. Five Minutes Peace by Jill Murphy. I remember reading this story everytime we went to our grandparents. I love that that whole family piles into the bath!
Which are your favourites? I would love to hear!
Ps. I always write messages and the date in the books I give the babes. I hope that they will keep the books forever and one day (when they are all grown up) they'll read the messages and think of how much I have always loved them.
1. Any Beatrix Potter books. I went through I serious Beatrix Potter stage when I was little and love the stories of Peter Rabbit, Jemima Puddleduck and Mrs Tiggy-Wiggle.
2. Beware of the Bull by Dick King Smith. Unfortunately this book is out of print now but I did manage to find a second hand version on eBay a couple years ago. This is the first book I learnt to 'read' but I actually just knew it by heart. I think I still know most of it.
3. Usborne's Illustrated Shakespeare. Because you are never too young for Shakepeare! I have alreayd bought a copy of this for the twins.
4. Roald Dahl's Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, because how can one not love a story about a chocolate factory.
5. And while we are on Roald Dahl - I think it is compulsory for one's aunt to read your Revolting Rhymes.
6. The Magic Far Away Tree by Enid Blyton. Come on, is this not one of the best children's books ever? Moon Face and the endless tree? The washing lady and the different land, the saucepan man and the fairy? I almost don't want to wait until my pieces are old enough I want to read it again now, for myself.
7. Are you My mother by P.D. Eastman. This is such a blast from the past for me, and when I look at it now the feeling of anxiety that the bird will not find his mother comes flooding back. Anxiety aside, I love this book.
8. We're Going on a Bear Hunt by Michael Rosen and Helen Oxenbury. The sounds illustrated in this book are so lovely to read like slooshing through mud and crunching through leaves.
9. Five Minutes Peace by Jill Murphy. I remember reading this story everytime we went to our grandparents. I love that that whole family piles into the bath!
Which are your favourites? I would love to hear!
Ps. I always write messages and the date in the books I give the babes. I hope that they will keep the books forever and one day (when they are all grown up) they'll read the messages and think of how much I have always loved them.


So special - we treasure the books you've given the twins and know they will love endless stories from you xxx
ReplyDelete