Wednesday's guest: Walking along the Promenade

Thursday, October 28, 2010

Yesterday I was in Cape Town for work. Every time I am in Cape Town I try and go for a long walk along the beach. Starting where Sea Point meets Bantry Bay most people walk along the edge of the road towards Camps Bay as you are higher up. But I prefer to walk the other way, along the Sea Point promenade. I like the fact that it is busy, the road on the one side of you with busy traffic and the beach on the other. I love the different people who also seem to enjoy this stretch -  I find the people watching aspect of the promenade fascinating and turns exercise into a social observation.

Today I woke up extra early (which was a challenge) simply to make sure I got my walk in and I am so pleased I did. All along the promenade is a series of sculptures called Walking the Road. It is a pilot project part of the Public Art Policy for the City of Cape Town with the hope that there will be more public art to follow all around the city. The sculptures of the girl are so noticeable in her little red and white swimming costume.

Here are a few (with the captions which make the art even more endearing). See more of and about the project and artist here.

But wait!The Dragonfly swoops down to her, hovering right in front of her... could he be asking her to fly with him? Could she have wings like he does?

The little girl watches in despair as the Dragonfly disappears into the heights of the sky; walking on air and leaving her far behind, unable to follow.

(this one is my favourite)

Heartbroken the little girl realises her loss. A dream has come so close and offered an invitation to fly together was made so freely, all now seems lots.

(Sorry for the late post)

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Please note:

{I try to credit all photos and link to their appropriate sources, if there any images here that are not credited correctly or you simply wish them to be removed, please email me and I will do so immediately}

Copyright © Bailey Liackman, buryanddiscover 2009-2013. Please do not use anything without crediting it's origins on your website or blog, including my photography.

bury & discover All rights reserved © Blog Milk - Powered by Blogger