I am hosting our bookclub dinner at my apartment tonight. In honor of this literary event I thought it appropriate to feature these beautiful libraries. Feast your eyes on book candy from the book Libraries by Candida Hofer available from here.
Biblioteca De La Real Acade
Handelingenkamer Tweede Kam
Stiftsbibliothek Klosterneu
Stiftsbibliothek St Gallen
Trinity College Library
Strahov Theological Hall
Strahov Philosophical Hall
Herzog August Library, Germany
Biblioteca Geral University of Coimbra, Portugal
George Peabody Library, Baltimore, USA
Kremsmeunster Abbey Library, Austria
Biblioteca do Palacio e Convento de Mafra I, Portugal
Melk Monastry Libray, Austria
El Ateno, Buenos Aires
Boston Public Library, USA
New York Public Library, USA
I love that there are so many beautiful libraries all over the world that it would be impossible to post them all. I asked my family for their favourites that they have been to and El Ateno in Buenos Aires was suggested for its dramatic setting in an old theatre, as well as Boston Public Library for the breathtaking John Singer Sargent murals lining its walls. My favourite has to be the New York Public Library. The grandeur never failed to amaze me when I stepped inside, and I spent many an hour in the reading room (pictured above) writing my thesis.
For a more complete compendium of beautiful libraries visit this wonderful post by Curious Expeditions.

















good luck with book club. x x x
ReplyDelete