womb tones and heart beats from the inside

Tuesday, May 14, 2013

It amazes me to discover how my tinies are developing every week. From the weekly fruit size changes (from poppy seeds to cucumbers) to the development of tiny finger nails and eyebrows. I especially love that babes start to hear in your womb at about four and a half months... It connects you to these little creatures inside you. I speak to the twinlets all the time, and sometimes I sing to them (captive audience if there ever was one), I play classical music for them and apologise to them when I shout at fellow drivers in traffic and somewhere deep down they can hear all of this mixed in with the voices they hear around me.

{via here}

Walter Murch, an Oscar winning picture editor and sound mixer, wrote about hearing within the womb which I find rather beautiful. Here is just a snippet:

"Hearing is the first of our senses to be switched on, four-and-a-half months after we are conceived. And for the rest of our time in the womb—another four-and-a-half months—we are pickled in a rich brine of sound that permeates and nourishes our developing consciousness: the intimate and varied pulses of our mother’s heart and breath; her song and voice; the low rumbling and sudden flights of her intestinal trumpeting; the sudden, mysterious, alluring or frightening fragments of the outside world — all of these swirl ceaselessly around the womb-bound child, with no competition from dormant Sight, Smell, Taste or Touch."

And you can listen to what that sounds like here.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Please note:

{I try to credit all photos and link to their appropriate sources, if there any images here that are not credited correctly or you simply wish them to be removed, please email me and I will do so immediately}

Copyright © Bailey Liackman, buryanddiscover 2009-2013. Please do not use anything without crediting it's origins on your website or blog, including my photography.

bury & discover All rights reserved © Blog Milk - Powered by Blogger