Design spots in downtown Jo'burg

Thursday, March 4, 2010

I spent the afternoon looking at furniture/design stores in Braamfontein and Newtown. Not only are these places great in themselves, filled with beautiful products or cutting edge art, I love that they are located in downtwon Jo'burg.

Our first stop was G2 Furniture - a furniture manufacturer which creates antique reproductions. Their showroom is in a remodelled 1913 Johannesburg factory. It is light, airy, industrial and full of great finds.


Another stop in the day was Co-op. It is a collaboration between Dokter and Misses, the Jo'brug based design company specialising in furniture, and WhatIfTheWorld, an initiative focused on creating projects for emerging local talent. Newly opened Co-op is a platform for emerging work in art and design and will feature exhibitions, events and collaborations. The current exhibition is "For the term of their natural lives" by artist Peter Eastman. Again, the space is cool and the gallery sort of merges into their workshop. It feels like things are happening, being created. I love that it is in Jo'burg.

  
A piece from the exhibition

Another exciting project going on there is Cabinet. This is literally located in a large closet sized space and features exclusive collaborations with both local and international designers. There was a gorgeous Black Coffee Jacket I have my eye on.


Current Cabinet collaboration

We finished the day at a cute little coffee shop across the road. All these places will certainly require return visits!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Please note:

{I try to credit all photos and link to their appropriate sources, if there any images here that are not credited correctly or you simply wish them to be removed, please email me and I will do so immediately}

Copyright © Bailey Liackman, buryanddiscover 2009-2013. Please do not use anything without crediting it's origins on your website or blog, including my photography.

bury & discover All rights reserved © Blog Milk - Powered by Blogger