WAM! Opening

Thursday, May 10, 2012


 Tonight we are going to the opening of the WITS Art Museum (WAM). I have seen the museum develop over the past year and can't wait to see the walls adorned with works by great artists, new and old, in the exhibition "Seeing Stars" (a play on both the acronym of the museum and the artists that will be featured). As senior curator Julia Charlton explains "It’s the stars of the collection on display, the really great or interesting pieces … but also, it’s ‘seeing stars’, like being hit on the head. We are very starry-eyed about getting here."

But it is the space itself that I love the most - the triple volumes, the winding ramps and the incorporation of the old with the modern (the architects connected three buildings to form the space). Inside, I am reminded of the Guggenheim, but with a good strong does of Johannesburg aesthetic. It will be a landmark, not only in Braamfontein, but in South Africa itself, housing an extensive collection of South African and African art. For Jo'burg locals and visitors alike, this is well worth experiencing.

The WAM! Seeing Stars Exhibition is open to the public from May 19 to August 19.
Read more about the exhibition and opening here.

 In the name of art and what it brings to a city, here are some pics I took on my recent trip to London:

Outside the Royal Academy, queuing for the David Hockney: A Bigger Picture


At the Tate to see the Picasso and Modern British Art exhibition

Henry Moore in the underground

Artist timeline at the Tate Modern

Surrealism and Beyond at Tate Modern

Words on walls at Tate Modern

Enjoy great art for free

1 comments:

  1. Loving this post! Enjoy tonight! I cannot wait to go myself! x

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Please note:

{I try to credit all photos and link to their appropriate sources, if there any images here that are not credited correctly or you simply wish them to be removed, please email me and I will do so immediately}

Copyright © Bailey Liackman, buryanddiscover 2009-2013. Please do not use anything without crediting it's origins on your website or blog, including my photography.

bury & discover All rights reserved © Blog Milk - Powered by Blogger